Dark Matter May Hold The Secrets to a Parallel Universe (Seriously)


Dark Matter Dark Energy

The simulation illustrates the formation of clusters and large-scale filaments in the Cold Dark Matter model with dark energy. ( By: Andrey Kravtsov (the University of Chicago) and Anatoly Klypin (New Mexico State University))

I know this sounds crazy, but just hear me out here. Once you understand what dark matter is, you’ll see how it potentially could open up to a whole dimension that we are not currently aware of.

What is dark matter?
Dark matter is simply matter that reacts with our Universe¬†only by gravitational fields. Therefore other forms of interaction that we are used to such as light photons and radiation waves do not interact with dark matter. Since scientists can’t see dark matter directly they theorize that it exists based on unexplained gravitational pulls in our universe.

What matter is really made up of?
Keep in mind that an atom is only made up of approxiately 1% solid matter, the remaining 99% is empty space. The only reason we see things as solid is because atoms are very small and electrons move very fast around them. The only reason you can’t run through a brick wall is because the electrons in your body react with the electrons in the brick wall so that it feels like solid matter. In reality there is actually enough space for 100 versions of yourself to stand in the same place at the same time if it weren’t for the atomic forces that we are used to which prevent that from happening.

What are the scientific rules that apply to dark matter?
The only atomic force that we know of that interacts with dark matter is gravity. If that is indeed the only one then everything from light waves to radio waves pass right through. It may also be possible that the atoms we are used to can pass right through dark matter without interacting. Gravity is a relatively weak force, the only reason scientists can see the gravity of dark matter is because they are looking at huge chunks of dark matter out in space, concentrations of dark matter the size of galaxies or bigger. More importantly they can see the effects of this dark matter on the stars, planets and galaxies of our universe.

What could dark matter potentially be?
Dark matter seems to be viewed by the general public as one element. People think that it is one type of thing that we can’t see. There are nearly 100 natural elements in our universe that we know of. These elements make up everything mankind has ever seen including planets, people, animals, stars, spaceships, cars….everything. It is possible and some scientist think it is likely that dark matter is not simply one element, but a whole bunch of elements that make up an entire universe of things.

If there was a whole universe of things sharing the same space as us we probably wouldn’t even know it. Gravity is such a weak force that we don’t feel the gravity of a person next to us, or even a mountain next to us. We need something the size of planet to feel the gravity.

The tip of the iceberg
This theory is only the tip of the iceberg. The matter we see makes up approximately 4.9% of the universe, dark matter makes up 26.8%. The remaining 68.3% of matter is still unclassified. We know the matter exists due to certain atomic forces that we see the effects of such as gravity. These forces are seen as an energy in our universe and this energy is referred to as dark energy because we can not see its source. The truth is these energies have sources that are likely greater than the visible universe. There could be a number of universes sharing the same space and reacting in certain ways but not reacting in other ways. One of the most exciting frontiers of science will be to develop the methods and technology to study these parallel universes and maybe someday interact with them on a regular basis.